- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water
- whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the sugar and melted shortening vigorously together with a whisk (or you can use a mixer). Whisk in the molasses.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt, and add to the molasses mixture alternately with the hot water, stirring very gently in between additions with a spoon or spatula. Do not overmix! The batter will be a little lumpy.
- Pour it into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve with generous dollops of whipped cream!
This recipe came to my family from the Pittsburgh Press, many many moons ago.
You can make a half recipe in an 8×8 pan, and it bakes for about the same amount of time!