- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature (or microwaved for a few seconds so it’s slightly softened but not melty)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-to-large bananas, mashed (about 1 pound before peeling)
- 1/4 cup honey (maple syrup works, too!)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla, baking soda, salt and bananas and mix well until thoroughly combined. (The batter will look weird and there may be clumpy bits of butter, but it will come together at the end!) Add the honey and eggs and beat to combine. Gently stir in the flour until combined. Transfer the batter to the loaf pan, then let the batter rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 50 minutes. Check the loaf and if it’s browning too quickly, tent it with foil. Bake for 5-10 minutes longer or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the banana bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack and cool completely.
This recipe is slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour’s Heavenly Healthy Banana Bread.
To make 12 muffins, bake 20-25 minutes.
You could certainly throw in 1/2 cup or so of chopped nuts or even chocolate chips if that’s your thing!
The banana bread freezes well, so I often double the recipe.